Friday, June 3, 2011

Chalkboard Globe

I haven't updated in a while, I have been on a bit of a crafting break. I did do some sewing - the bonnet I made during KCWC, day 1 - Thea had it on when we went to the grocery store. I was stopped and asked about it, and then was paid on the spot to make one for her grandbaby! I gave it to her on Wednesday and not only is it going to be for summer wear - they are going to use it for her Christening!

All right - back to the project at hand...

Awhile ago I saw the idea to paint a globe with chalkboard paint here... http://www.designsponge.com/2010/09/diy-project-halligans-chalkboard-globe.html

ever since I have been keeping my eye out for a globe at a garage sale. I found one yesterday for $3!



Ella is ready to paint her "Earth"



First I wrapped the stand with foil to protect it from the paint.



Then we primed it. Ella is very intent on her work.



Then we added 3 coats of chalkboard paint.



She loves to paint.



All done!




Go and Color Your World!




Notes:




I used foam brushes but we should have used a high nap roller for a smoother finish.



The inspiration piece has the countries, but I wanted to give my kids, or anyone who wants to draw on it, freedom to create their own world.




My total cost was roughly $5. The globe was $3, the paint and primer I got off of freecycle, the brushes were on sale for .99 for a pack of 10, and then some foil (not going to try to break down the cost of foil used :P )






I already have a bunch of saying I want to write on there!



No comments:

Post a Comment